Thursday, September 10, 2009

Suzuki Alto - a super compact car

Why do we have to own a car? Whatever your reason is – during this time of crisis, it is no doubt that getting to your destination at the most practical way is a major consideration. Remember the time when you can't hardly see any SUV in the streets because gasoline costs around Sixty pesos per liter?

Nowadays, vehicles that use as little petroleum as possible are the norm. Car manufacturers have taken this factor very seriously. They have created a new breed of car – the super subcompact hatchback - that not only saves a lot of fuel or money, but saves space as well. The most notable of this type of car is the Suzuki ALTO. 

Imagine owning a brand-new car for a low down-payment of P70,000 and paying a monthly amortization of P7,400 only. You will not be troubled with the high maintenance cost of regular repair. For a total price of P358,000 on a brand new standard model Alto, it defines automobile frugality to a new level.

This 5-speed manual transmission car is not only economical upon purchase but also cost-effective upon usage. On October 24, 2008, the Department of Energy recognized this vehicle to be the top performer among the 52 participating car models in a fuel economy run marking an astonishing 34 km per liter consumption rate. The test dubbed as “2008 DOE Fuel Economy Run” started its journey from the agency’s compound in Bonifacio Global City up to Subic and back to Manila the following day for a stretch of 333 kilometers at a standard maximum speed of 80 kph. In my own experience, I took my wife and two kids with me to Baguio City and the trip consumed less than 15 liters from Camp Aguinaldo, Quezon City.

With an over-all length of about 3.5 meters and width of almost 1.5 meters, you have the power to pass-through thin thoroughfares. Its small 4.5 meter turning radius also gives you agility in heavy traffic situations and flexibility in parking conditions. Its three cylinder and computer controlled engine has a displacement of only 796 cc. You are virtually just like riding a four-wheel motorcycle in the comfort of a powerful and very cool air-conditioning system.

This car may be small in size, but is also space-efficient inside. It has a large trunk and split-fold rear seats which can handle a balikbayan box plus three to four travel bags. Personally, I was able to transport a treadmill from the mall to our house, and on a separate occasion was also able to fit-in a kiddie bmx bike, my wife and our two kids comfortably. Its additional features are a CD player with tuner, additional tail lights, rear wiper and washer. Engineered and first introduced in Japan in 1979, it has a 30 year track record and already sold more than 10 million units worldwide. It is a global standard car from Suzuki being exported to India, UK, Australia, Middle East, Africa, South America and now, the Philippines. A variant of this small-but-terrible car has a power steering wheel, power windows and power locks. I have personally tested the durability of this car in traffic condition, uphill, long distance travel, full-load, during heavy-rains, and even flood. And it never turned me down and just served its purpose very well.

Suzuki Alto is truly a budget car, but one you can never be embarrassed of. In fact, if you own this super compact car, its mighty features may even give you a reason to boast.

15 comments:

  1. love this is the post for which i was looking to read.
    thanks
    chevy 350 block

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. I hope this helped a lot of people. Actually, there are a lot of people personally asking me about the performance of the car.

    Until now... this car still has my approval. In fact, I don't envy other car owners who have bigger wheels. I can travel farther than them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. why is everyone saying that their monthly is 7K? My DP was 70k as well pero my monthly (PSBank) is 8,725 for 5 years. that's for a 2008 Type K Standard Alto. Waaaaah!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The difference is with the bank sir :-)

      Delete
  4. Planning a trip to Baguio with my mom and my golden.. Kaya kaya ng Alto? What's the best route?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just don't take kennon road...

      Delete
    2. Ano po alternative road niyo from Kennon Road?

      Delete
  5. Planning to convert 2010 Suzuki alto standard to power steering..where to go and how much will it cost?tnx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Planning to buy suzuki alto but my friend told me rhar this not a good investment if ever this is our first car pls help us to decide

    ReplyDelete
  7. We are planning to buy suzuki alto do u think that this is a good desicion? My freind told me to buy a second hand slightly used instead of alto pls help

    ReplyDelete
  8. We had the same options five years ago. Since then, never was a chance that we regret buying a brand new alto compared to a slightly used car.

    This year I already bought a brand new compact SUV but I never disposed my alto. My wife uses the alto until today. The consumption of my new car is equivalent to about four times the consumption of my alto.

    Hope this will help you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I bought a slightly used suzuki alto for 185K, the millage is 40K, did I make the right call?

    ReplyDelete
  10. This car is for sale at 199,000 Pesos

    ReplyDelete
  11. am planning to buy a car.but it wud be used in samar and our.hse is in a mountain.can d alto go up kaya...?

    ReplyDelete